Celiac in my DNA, Comfort in my Bread of Life

Today I received sad news.
Six and a half years ago some seeming inconsistent lab work and a grumpy gastroenterologist made me subconsciously doubt the diagnosis he gave me of Celiac Disease. Since then I’ve held on to a faint, flickering hope that somehow there was a mistake. That someday there might be donuts and pizza and dining out without gluten free menus and special requests for the waiter to relay to the chef.  Someday I might get to once again enjoy a friend's hospitality without feeling like an inconvenience.

Then last week, a friendly doctor. A second opinion. A genetic scan, new lab work, and against all better judgment, new hope.

Today I received sad news. 
There it is, embedded in my DNA: Celiac Disease.
No more doubts. I had to let them go. No more wishing for one day bakery fresh pastries and normal communion bread. I had to let it go. I’m not sure which is harder, letting the pasta go, or letting the hope of future pasta go, but either way, it is hard.

I guess it isn't sad news. It isn't really news. But the sadness feels fresh again.
Closure.
I have Celiac Disease, all the way down to my genes. 

But, I know there is still hope. I may have to stop hoping that I don’t legitimately have gluten intolerance, but I will not stop hoping. Because even if they do not find a cure for Celiac Disease in my lifetime, and I do not get to taste real bread again, I have the Bread of Life to feast upon each day. And the promise of eternity with Him, where there will be feasting and dancing and merriment in abundance!
So, I'll be spending some time figuring out the perfect gluten free breakfast to serve on Christmas morning. I'm ever thankful that butter and sugar are still options on a gluten free diet! (And many good things can come from those two basic ingredients!!) 
There is *so* much to be thankful for, butter and sugar don't even scratch the surface.
But golly, they sure make a tasty start!
XO

“And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: 
he that cometh to me shall never hunger; 
and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.”

John 6:35 

Comments

  1. Lovely perspective, Tam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tam, I am sorry about your news. But I am thanking God for your godly perspective and acceptance of this hard providence.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts