A (gluten free) follow up...

So, I felt like I needed to write a follow up. My faith never wavered, but when I wrote yesterday’s thoughts down I was heavy of heart. As always, however, a new morning has brought renewed perspective, and I am filled with thankfulness, all the way up to the brim of my cup. The happiness is sloshing over the edges, and all it took was a few moments of looking around me.

Yesterday evening I stepped outside to make sure there were no more packages delivered to our doorstep. (A very common occurrence these days!) There were none, but a chilly breeze hit me in the face and I shivered at air that is not even *that* cold. 
Stepping back into my toasty warm house the thankfulness hit me even harder than the cold wind did. I have a heated house to take shelter in during the cold winter months. 
A warm house full of precious people, twinkling lights, Christmas music, and beautifully wrapped gifts under the tree. 
On the fold-out-table temporarily at home in my living room was a sewing machine and the fabric for a new stocking to add to our “mantel.” A new stocking, a new baby! A new member of our family, who generously gives smiles to anyone who will take the time to look at her. 
There was more, too. 
Steam rising off a cup of cocoa, a Christmas movie, and a quiet house. 
Boys sleeping peacefully in beds covered in cozy blankets, in a room of their own, lit with Christmas lights in place of a night light. 
A dish washer that works, and the delicious food that dirties the dishes so well. 
The blessings abound. I can’t help but be thankful.

Celiac disease? Ok. Whatever. There are far worse things. 
I can do this. (And do it well!)
I already know how to make cinnamon rolls and corn bread, and pizza to die for. I’ve won a pie contest with my GF pie crust, and I’ve mastered the ice cream cake. My cheese bread is tasty and my biscuits are flakey. My chocolate muffins are perfect. I haven’t quite figured out french bread, but I discovered some great cookie recipes this year, and maybe 2015 will be the year I create a recipe for GF donuts that don’t taste like soggy canola oil. Or maybe not. Either way I’ll have fun trying.

Thankfulness changes everything.
And while there is sadness at my somewhat inconvenient circumstance, I am thankful. So thankful. 

Gluten is not an ingredient in the recipe for a happy and content life!
(And neither are children who always smile perfectly for the camera!)
XOXOXO


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts