Show and Tell

I mentioned that I did a bit of handcrafting to make Christmas more budget friendly for this little medical school family. "A bit" might be a slight understatement (I think I counted 35 handmade gifts?) but I assure you, I enjoyed every project, and made them with love. There's something special about a home made gift! I managed to squeeze them in during naps and late in the evenings, despite the fact that my house began showing signs of neglect. Fortunately we could just keep the lights low and somehow the twinkling Christmas lights hid the bulk of the mess!

I thought I'd share a few of my favorite projects with you!

Since I'm showy like that... *wink*

First is a blanket I crocheted for my sweet friend Danielle, who just had her first baby.
A darling little girl.
They named her Evangeline. I have no doubt she'll live up to her name.
Despite constant complaints from me in regards to how hard it is to crochet a blanket for a baby with a hidden gender, they decided not to find out what they were having, and so I was forced to go gender neutral in both color and construction. I made up the zig-zag pattern, thinking I could leave it without a trim for a boy, and add a scalloped edge for a girl. I think it worked out alright.
Although if I had known it was a girl I would have gone much, much more frilly!


My mother and mother in law were both given a little something to spruce up and brighten their kitchens during the long winter ahead.

A little taste of Spring...

Crochet cotton dishcloths and towels to match. (Mom-in-law's was blue).



Every year (make that every gift-requiring occasion) I make my Dad a hand-embroidered handkerchief. And he actually uses them!


Lately he's been enjoying the remote control airplane world, and owns a plane similar to this one. Asher painted a wooden airplane ornament to put on Pappy's "Manly Tree" but I forgot to take a picture of that one!

"Aunt Andi" received a package that included this little cutie. An ornament fashioned after our favorite four legged friend, Cocoa.


I made my boys (all three of them) swords.


This was one of those impromptu projects that I really didn't have time for, but happened to finish off three small rolls of wrapping paper at one time and thought to myself, "Hmm... I should save these so the boys can sword fight with them."
Well, from there I couldn't stop myself, and before I knew it I was elbow-deep in hot glue and acrylic paint. The dishes didn't get done that night. But they're so cute!

Then comes the big question. When you have a big (make that huge) family, what do you make? More specifically, what can you make in less than three weeks? How about 11 monogrammed felt ornaments? I can do that!


I just love this family!

And then comes my pride and glory. My favorite project. Yes, I've saved the best for last!


I saw an idea for a card table tent that looked like a house with little windows and a mailbox back when the air was warmer and the berries were ripe on the vines. All I could think was "What a wonderful idea!" I decided a barn would be less girly, and so I whipped up this fun playhouse just one week before Christmas! (I know, I'm crazy, huh?) I bought the fabric (cheap flat sheets at Walmart for a mere $5!) in the Fall, but managed to procrastinate until the last minute.

Of course this is not USUAL behavior. Not me. Never.... *wink*


I rounded up all of Asher's farm-themed books and toys and kept them in hiding during the Christmas season. I placed them inside the barn so when he went in he had fun "new" toys to play with.


My little sillies... Oh, how I love them!

Now that the Christmas rush is over I've started a few yarn projects to keep my fingers busy during the winter months.

Including a beautiful handmade scarf for myself. Merry belated Christmas to me!

Happy Crafting!

Comments

  1. I LOVE them! All of them, but the barn?!? How brilliant! That idea might just get stolen. And since I can't crochet...those ideas are safe with you. ;) You take such good care of your sweet family!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts