Pretty Things

I love what I do. I love to stay home and be mommy to my children and make meals for my family and take care of the home front. I love my people, and am fulfilled by my God. I don't wish I had a career or feel unimportant because I don't have an income. I don't have an identity crisis. I am Tamara. Riley's wife and helpmeet. Asher's and Grayson's Mama. Colleen's daughter-in-law. Anna's sister. Danielle's friend. Daughter of the Most High King.
(And, sorry Dad, that's not you! Although you do rank pretty highly!)
I love who I am and what I do.

But that's not to say I don't enjoy a break every now and then.

I got a break yesterday! Hubby sent me out with some gift money to a darling little antique store and told me to have fun. The shop is less than three minutes from our house and I've wanted to stop inside since we moved in. I got lost in that store for two hours while he stayed home with the boys. I got to touch hundreds of beautiful items that are loaded with more history than any book could chronicle. I love antique stores. And I found a few little treasures at this one, I thought I'd share.


First my teacups. When we married I didn't register for china. I went with a garden theme. I wanted "any china with pink flowers on it."


I found these two beauties marked down half price!

The one on the left is actually Haviland China, and has a most beautiful "apple blossom" motif. The double handled cup on the right is apparently intended for soup, according to the lady at the shop, but I may not be able to resist sipping my coffee from it in the morning. It is made of such delicate bone china, the scalloped edge of the saucer feels dreamy between my fingertips.

I drink coffee or tea from a tea cup every morning. It's the perfect way to greet the day...

And for a mere fifty cents I picked up this darling little bud vase.


I'm not sure I'll keep the dirty brass look. I'm thinking a coat of white spray paint will spruce this little trinket up nicely. I'll try to get it done before the crocus buds start to bloom, so they will be able to find a happy home inside my kitchen window. I have a feeling it will also hold many a clover and weed from my sweet Asher. Perfect.


In addition to my three lovelies I found a few demitasse spoons and a beautiful crochet-edge hankie just waiting for a hand embroidered monogram. I'll be realistic and say that this will not get done before the crocus blooms come, but it will sit in my grandmother's jewelry box and look pretty until I can find the time to do one of my favorite crafts...

My grandmother taught me to embroider before she died. I love her.

Many thanks to my sweet husband for the time off. Now, I get to revisit the busy season of life we are in, and I get to do it with a few little treasures that are bound to brighten my days.

* * *
Bud vase: $0.50
Haviland Tea Cup: $3.25
Soup Cup: $1.75
3 Demitasse spoons: $1.50
Crochet Lace Hankie: $3.00
Shopping without a destructive toddler and fussy baby: Priceless...

p.s... this is what my house looks like when I blog instead of clean.
Time to go make it pretty again!!

Comments

Popular Posts