Book Review: Life Together

I'm constantly reading. I absolutely love filling my mind with goodness and truth, whether directly from the Scriptures or from other wise men and women that have blessed the people of this world with their written thoughts. While I enjoy fiction, it tends to suck me in and turn me into a horrible housekeeper (haha!), so I tend to avoid it. Instead, I soak up as much nonfiction as I can in the limited time I have to myself each day!

I used to keep a book journal, writing about each book I read when I finish it, with a few thoughts about it and maybe a favorite quote or two. It's excellent motivation to actually finish the book, which is something my scattered brain needs. *wink*

I decided to switch from the journal idea to writing about them here. It's quicker to type, and easier to look up my thoughts on here than in a cluttered journal. Also, I'm able to share my favorites with anyone who happens to wander over here to my blog! Who knows, you might just pick up a book you wouldn't have otherwise! I'll try to keep them short and sweet... :)

So, onto my first book: Life Together, by Dietrich Bonhoeffer.

"Christianity means community through Jesus Christ and in Jesus Christ... that in Jesus Christ we have been chosen from eternity, accepted in time, and united for eternity."
Isn't that just beautiful?

I actually finished this book a few months ago, but I loved it so much that I wanted to be sure to record it. I like to read with a pen or pencil nearby, and I underline bits that really stand out to me, that resonate with me, or that I want to be able to find again later. I think it was a pointless exercise with this book, as about 98% of it is highlighted!
Good luck finding that one quote on morning devotions I liked...

This book is focused on dealing with the common struggles and temptations that arise when living together in Christian community, whether in the home, the church, or the greater body of Christ. And, in turn, makes sure to point out the blessings that come with this community also. It was absolutely full of little bits of practical wisdom, and really helped me understand and notice temptations of my own.
It challenged me, convicted me, and blessed me each night as I read in bed, giving me lots to contemplate as I drifted off to sleep.

There is so much practical advice in this short little gem. Bonhoeffer provides excellent encouragement to become a morning person, aptly defines the difference between human love and spiritual love (human love being Godless, and wholly dependent on our own strength-- inevitably failing us), practical tips for daily devotion and worship, confession and repentance, learning to listen more than you talk (woah-- convicting!), and what truly loving your neighbor looks like.
I would highly recommend this book to any Christian!!
It's not long, it's not expensive, and you can get yourself a copy HERE!

And I'll leave with one last favorite:
"We should listen with the ears of God that we may speak the Word of God."

Comments

Popular Posts