Where I said yes...

After a wonderful whirlwind of a Summer Break, we've been thrown into another wonderful whirlwind of a new school year. We're back at it full force; Daddy's working hard to cram an impossible amount of information into his already-packed long-term memory, and I am bustling about the home front tending to the house, the children, the garden, the laundry, cleaning, cooking, and a bit of home-pre-schooling to boot! 

(Asher is learning to trace the letters he can already recognize.) 
Children are ten times smarter than we think they are!

On Riley's final day of school last year, he came home with this sweet card to celebrate our completion of such a trying (but blessed!) year...


Attending it were flowers and chocolates, of course.
He's good like that...

Inside the card were words of praise, excitement about the Summer ahead, and an unexpected gift. This Saturday we will celebrate five years of marriage, and he told me in that card his plans to whisk me away to the spot he proposed to me for an overnight getaway the weekend of our anniversary! Oh joy!

The precious drawing on my card was of the Peaks of Otter, two of the tallest peaks in the area, found in the midst of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains. 

Wouldn't you like to live here??

On August 3rd, six years ago, we hiked to the top of Sharp Top Mountain. 


Funny story: I hiked to the peak in flip-flop sandals because I didn't pack for a hiking trip and those were my only shoes. It wasn't bad at all. The funny part was when we were joined at the top by some guys that were decked out in all the REI hiking gear you could imagine. Water packs, hiking poles, lace-up water proof boots, you get the picture. They took one look at my feet and exclaimed,
"Woah! You hiked this in flops?! You're more a man than I'll ever be!"

I decided to take that as the compliment I'm sure they intended it to be... haha!

They left shortly after reaching the highest point, because I think Riley was giving them the "Alright, hurry on your way, now" look. (Just kidding!)


I was completely unaware of his plans for the evening! But when we reached the top, he had prepared for just about the most romantic night I could have imagined! 

The view from the top. You can see the lake and the lodge down below.
He sang me a song he had written for me, and then pulled his Bible out and read passages he had chosen in advance that spoke of God's majesty, and His love for the Bride of Christ, the Church.



Then, as the sun was setting, he proposed, and unveiled the ring he had hidden for me, and I squealed and hugged him.  He teased me about not actually saying, "Yes!" so I obliged him with a million yesses throughout the rest of the evening.


It was dark as we hiked back down the mountain, but he was prepared even for that. 
He had packed a flashlight.

It didn't do us much good, though, for I insisted on shining it on my beautifully sparkling new ring instead of the path before us...

When we arrived home he had left a surprise bouquet of daisies (one of my favorites) on my bed with a note saying, "Here are the first of many for years to come." 



 Riley chose to propose at the top of the Peaks of Otter because the peaks can been seen throughout Lynchburg and the surrounding area. 
We can even see them on a clear day from Christiansburg!

I am so looking forward to returning to this special spot for a little rest and relaxation with my beloved. Riley has planed a wine tour at the Peaks of Otter Winery, as well as a picnic at the base of the mountain, followed by a lovely walk around the lake that sits at the mountain's foot. We'll stay in the Peaks of Otter Lodge and enjoy a nice breakfast there before returning to town (Where our children will be terrorizing their grandparents' house!).


Six years ago we had no idea what was in store for us!
But we couldn't be happier with the way our story together is being written. 

Five years of marriage, and I am still discovering the way that love can grow bigger each and every day. I am still head over heels in love and still believe I am married to the very best man in the world.

I love you, my darling!!
I'm so glad I said yes.

yes, yes, yes, xoxo






Comments

Popular Posts