Focus

Rushing, brushing my teeth, I glance in the mirror. 
So much to do, no time to style my hair. Oh, but I should. 
It would bless my husband, my family.
So much to do!
Brush, brush...
I will style my hair. Just a quick bun. Life seems so full right now! 
So busy, so much to get done.
I hear the kids running circles downstairs.
Bottom teeth now...
I seem to have so little time. I can't even seem to carve out time to pray. So much is happening in our nation right now. So much is happening in my family right now. Why can't I remember to spend more time in prayer? Why can't I devote time to that? When would be the best time of day to add that in? Should I wake earlier?
Brush, scrub...stop.
Toothbrush suspended in the air between my lips.
Pray NOW.
Lord, please help me to focus. Please help me to remember, to pray, to live for you.
Lord, thank You for reminding me to use right here, right now. Bless my family. Bless our nation. May Your name be glorified in this place.
Rinse, and done.
* * *
Sometimes I just need to readjust my focus. Do you feel that way?
When God gives you lots to do, it's easy to get caught up in the doing it that you forget the why.

My chief end is to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever. 
I can do that with dishes and food and laundry and more food and school and moving boxes and a calendar full of scribbles. But I have to focus. I have to remember to do it unto the Lord. 
I have to stop thinking to myself and start thinking to Him. 
Pray without ceasing.

Today I am praising the Lord for His patience, and for a gentle nudge as I brushed my teeth, to stop looking in the mirror and to instead look up.
I am thanking Him for the fact that He can take my meager offerings and multiply them a hundredfold. I am thankful that Christ the Mediator takes my simple prayers and relays them perfectly to a powerful God.

And that it only takes one second to adjust my focus.
I have one second. I'm never too busy for that.
XO




Comments

Popular Posts