A Scouting Outing

The boys and I have really been enjoying a burst of springtime heat lately. We've used every excuse in the book to make being outside in the 70 degree weather a priority. Back porch picnics, playing in the yard, and learning how to ride a tricycle have been an excellent counter to the intense lifestyle that inevitably occurs during finals week.


One of our favorite ways to spend time outdoors is what I fondly refer to as 
"Scouting Outings." 

We scout for blooms. 

In Virginia, I've noticed that property lines tend to blur a little. Having grown up in a Northwestern sub-division where the lawns are manicured right up to their concrete-slab street curbs, this is new and exciting. It's almost like walking through a wild and untamed forest (sprinkled with houses. And some fences. And an alarming amount of strange lawn art... hmm...) 
The really exciting part comes in finding a tree or blooming bush that seems to be off on its own, unclaimed. And that's exactly what we're looking for. 

I am an unashamed bloom-snitcher.

We explore new streets in the neighborhood, looking for wild plants or trees with flowers that will look no different if an unsuspecting young mother and her darling two children happen to walk by with a pair of shears and tuck a few branches into the canopy of their stroller. 
We also keep our eyes peeled for blooms that will arrive soon.

And I'm very pleased to announce that blooms are abundant and ready for the taking!


I simply love Spring. New life awakens: a resurrection. The season is rightly heralded by beautiful, peaceful shades of color adorning formerly barren branches.
And it happens almost overnight.

Surprise! It's Spring!


Today a few clippings of the Bradford Pear on the border of the library parking lot came home with us. They're simply lovely. The blossoms so delicate, they are a perfect manifestation of life itself. 


Beauty, fragility, breath, value. 
Here for but a moment, their memory lasting into eternity. 
Resurrection. God's creation. Perfect.


Unfortunately, upon bringing them into the house and working to arrange them, I noticed that my analogy falls short on one account. They stink. I'm not sure if this is true of all Bradford Pear blossoms, but these ones do. They stink so badly that my larger arrangement is now making my front porch lovelier, instead of my kitchen as I had planned. 
But I'm happy to share the beauty with my neighbors. (Smile!)

And speaking of smiles....


xoxo happy sunshine xoxo






Comments

Popular Posts