Well, that's one way to wake up!


It had been a rough night. My typically good little sleepers had been up every hour between the two of them (for no apparent reason), giving their Mama little to no rest for the duration of the night. By around 5:30 I decided I was calling it quits, and roused the always-willing-to-help-but-very-sound-sleeper Daddy for back up. He went to their room and tucked the littlest in again, as the eldest began stirring in his own bed because of the commotion. He gave them both a sip of water, told them goodnight, and then snuggled back under the warm covers and off we dozed.

An hour later we began stirring, as a beeping alarm clock signaled the start of another day. We both sat up, and I began thinking to myself how impressive it was that the boys went back to sleep, and were still sleeping. (They normally come in around 6 to get us up.) It was then that Riley noticed their door was open, and the light was on downstairs. He had to get ready for work, so he sent me off with a quick, “prepare yourself...” as I began to make my way down the stairs, sleep still clinging to my lashes.

I heard muffled squeals from behind a closed door. A closed bathroom door. Not good. I opened it to find two boys standing on a basket at the sink, the eldest of which was completely naked. He apparently thought he needed to wash his clothes, and was flinging them around wildly in an overflowing sudsy sink, which was the obvious culprit for the standing water I found my feet sloshing through as I reached to pull them both out of the mess. I sent them upstairs to sit on their beds and wait for me while I cleaned up after them. I was still so drowsy that I didn’t even think to dry them off first, and the idea of having them help clean it up was way off my radar. I removed the (now empty) bottle of soap and the dripping wet clothes from the crime scene and walked toward the laundry room to fetch a towel (or 10) to wipe up the evidence of a morning well spent, but on my way I glanced toward the adjacent kitchen. I couldn’t help but notice that my baking cabinet door was open and the contents within seemed a little lacking. I deviated from the task at hand to investigate a little further, only to find that all the baking goodies had been removed from the cabinet and what little remained was stashed in a cubby around the corner. It turns out that washing clothes was not the only house chore Asher took upon himself that morning. He decided to feed himself and his brother a wholesome breakfast as well, which included (but may not be limited to): Half a bag of marshmallows, half a bag of dark chocolate chips, two candy canes, sprinkles, and a handful of miniature Reese’s Pieces baking chips! Oh my.

I staggered back to the task at hand, fetched some towels, and began walking back to the bathroom when I stumbled across my purse, which had been turned inside out and left in a heap, my completely emptied wallet sprawled on top. Now, fortunately I don’t keep a whole lot of cash on hand, but the little bit of coinage I had stored in there I later found stashed under the couch. Asher claimed they were saving it to buy gumballs. Gumballs!  How could they possibly have an appetite for gumballs after a breakfast like that??

I managed to do a good deal of damage control, with eyes still longing to be closed tight, and we were mostly back to normal in no time. Although, when you think about it, is any of this really *that* abnormal in this house? ;)


Another day last week the boys pulled out every movie we owned and stacked them on the cabinet. 
Their idea of a subtle hint... ;)

But they're cute!!

XO

Comments

Popular Posts