Coffee Break

So, I’m one of the lucky ones. I have, in my care, two pretty good little nappers. 
Both of my boys lie down in the afternoon and give me around an hour and a half (on average) of quiet time.


This is Mommy’s coffee break, and I have been taking full advantage of it!
I used to use this time to frantically catch up on the house that’s managed to fall apart (once again!) and start prepping dinner. Or sometimes I would collapse on the couch and close my eyes and tell myself that if I couldn’t see the mound of toys (piled on top of the mound of unfolded laundry), then it didn’t exist.

One day I decided that instead of a nap (or a massive cleaning spree that resulted in a Mama who really needed a nap but was suddenly joined by two rambunctious toddlers with a fresh wave of energy), I was going to sit, drink a cup of coffee, and read a few chapters of Scripture. I felt so rejuvenated after my little break, that I’ve kept it up and now consider it a vital part of my med-school survival plan! (hah) 
I find it much more effective than a nap, incredibly nourishing to my soul, and a wonderful way to stimulate my mind, which rarely gets a workout beyond that which a conversation with a three-year-old can muster.
My coffee break has morphed to almost a full hour of reading. I am plowing my way through the New Testament, and have been drinking in some wonderful, uplifting wisdom from books on practical Christian living, and how that translates to me specifically as a wife and mother. I often pop into some of my favorite blogs and read stimulating posts on a wide range of topics (everything from motherhood and crafting to politics and theology!) written by people much wiser than myself!

I find it so refreshing, that when I am done I feel ready to tackle the world! (Even the small little one I live in day to day! Which is good, because it usually needs a good tackling!)



Comments

Popular Posts