The Good Portion: Feasting on the Word of God


Have you ever tried fasting?
I have not done it as much as I would like, but when I have, I get weak and shaky. I find myself sitting more than normal, and wanting to take a nap (which I rarely do).
It's almost impossible to function at maximum capacity when you're not eating well. And it is even worse when you continue that way for an extended period of time.

Now, this may seem like a change of topic, but stick with me.
I am a reader, and I especially gravitate toward topics of self improvement written by Christian authors I admire. Being a better mother, a godlier wife, making a home more peaceful, living a life more joyful.

I especially devour these pieces when I am going through seasons of struggle. 
But, while they encourage me and inspire me, they rarely lead to greater fruit production.
I can read an article about wasting time on the internet, and then see a link to another article about raising thankful children and click on it. What? I just read about how I should shut the computer and get off the couch! 
I can read about meal planning and budgeting for so long that I run out of time to make dinner and we have to eat out.
This is crazy!

And a greater problem is that I sometimes prefer to read books or blog posts over the Word of God. I am tempted to think that if I am struggling to be cheerful when my children are fussy, then I should read a book on loving children rather than reading the gospel. I believe the lie that the Bible is not quite as relevant to what I'm doing right here, right now.

But it's just that: a lie.
I am fasting, and wondering why I am not able to keep up. Why I keep struggling with the same sins and same temptations. Why I'm short with the children, sloppy with the laundry, and incapable of maintaining a cheerful spirit in the midst of a kitchen full of dirty dishes...again.

I need the word of God.
The bread of life.
I need to EAT, in order to live rightly.

"But He answered, 
'It is written, man shall not live by bread alone, 
but on the Word of God."
Matthew 4:4

We can be tempted to think that we are too busy to carve out time to spend in the Word.
But look to the story of Mary and Martha.

"Now, as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, 'Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.' But the Lord answered her, 'Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.'"
Luke 10

Martha was frantically running around, doing good things, but Mary was doing what pleased the Lord. The one thing that was necessary. She was feasting on His words. 
She had chosen the good portion.
We may live busy lives, full of good, God-honoring work, but we have to find a way. 
Find a way to eat. Daily.

My technique? I have recently started listening to the Scriptures read to me on my cell phone. I can do this by myself, and with my children. I listen when I drink my coffee in the morning. I listen to it when I do dishes, or fold laundry. Any time I think of it, I turn it on and feast.
I don't need to catch everything. I don't need to worry if my mind drifts for a moment. If I am soaking in the word of God frequently, I will get to that part again soon enough, and catch something else I may have missed the last time! 

And do you know what? 
I feel fed.
Hearing it, soaking it in, does wonders for the soul.
It produces fruit in abundance.
I read about Abraham's journey to Canaan, and was able to respond calmly to the wild fussing in the boys' room. I read about Judas' money buying the Potter's Field, and managed to produce a clean kitchen, a clean bathroom, and a made bed.
How does this work?
It is food. And it nourishes you.

I have shared this because I am sure that I'm not alone. I hope you are encouraged by my words, and it is my prayer that you will find a way to go, and feast!
The Lord bless you!

*   *   *   *   *  *

I listen to the Bible on my phone using the Bible Gateway app. It is free, and you can choose from multiple versions to hear read to you. I've been enjoying Max McLean's reading of the English Standard Version.




Comments

Popular Posts