Thankful Still

I should be nine weeks pregnant today, but instead I am grieving the loss of my third child, who entered into glory on Thanksgiving day.

I thought I knew what I was going to be thankful for this Thanksgiving, but the Lord surprised me. While I thought I'd be thankful for the growing baby in my womb, I found myself overwhelmed with thankfulness for the promises God gives to the children of the faithful. 

I thought I would be thankful for the chance to add another fat face around my table, but instead I wound up thankful for the sweet family seated around our feast on Thanksgiving, who provided both encouraging words and helping hands as my baby left this world and entered into the presence of Jesus.  

I am thankful that we were blessed with the opportunity to create an eternal soul, to add one more voice to the choir of saints praising our Creator God in the heavenlies.  

I am thankful for the sweet words and prayers from kind friends and family that have carried us through this longest of weekends.

I am thankful for the chance to teach my sad children what Christian grief looks like... sorrow mingled perfectly with joy. 

And I am thankful for that good and perfect peace that passes understanding.

"They are not lost to you, that are found in Christ. 
They are not sent away, but only sent before."
-Samuel Rutherford

Our hearts are heavy, but we can see that we still have much to be thankful for, and we can press on in hope, knowing that our baby is in the arms of a perfect God who does all things for our good and His glory.

"The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.
Blessed be the name of the Lord!"
Job 1:21


Comments

  1. We love you all Tamara and am so thankful to know you. You are blessing even in the midst of your trial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Riley and Tamara, we miss you two back here in Moscow! We are praying for you in this hard providence. Toby and Jenny Sumpter recently lost their pre-born child and held a small service for him. You already have a wonderful perspective on your situation, but you may be encouraged by Toby's remarks, which you can read at this link.
    http://www.tobyjsumpter.com/the-gospel-of-the-well-beloved-son/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Mr. Schlect. I actually follow pastor Sumpter's blog, and had read that article just two days before I miscarried. It blessed me greatly, and prepared me for what was to come without my even knowing it. God's timing is just perfect.
    We're sure craving a trip back to Moscow! We hope to make it back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully said, Tamara. So proud of you and love you much, Katie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts